Well, i for one eat a lot after smoking weed. My girlfriend usually laugh at me when i smoke and my eyes goes totally red searching for food like one hungry rat. Most times i smoke very late at night so i could sleep but as soon as i finish smoking the smell and taste of food is totally different and then i will need to jump straight to the kitchen to either search for food or prepare one. Am bad at cooking but my food taste like some KFC chicken when am high.
So what the science behind this?
According to this article: a new study from the brilliant minds at Yale University has explained the science of munchies. The article was able to explain why some cannabis consumers experience a heightened appetite and why many other who consume other strains experience little or no hunger drive.
Cannabinoid receptors have a coordinated dance with specific neurons in the brain known as pro-opiomelancortin (or POMC neurons), which are located in the hypothalamus. These neurons control appetite stimulation (as well as other base instincts, such as sexual arousal and alertness – this explains so much). The POMC neurons are also responsible for sending a chemical signal to the brain to stop eating when the person is full.
Scientists have long made the connection between the stimulation of cannabinoid receptors and an increase in appetite.
The author explained with scientifically evidence why most Sativas have higher tendencies of making their consumers more hungry than normal.
I was born and brought in Nigeria so most of the weed have been consuming are all Sativas i will hopefully grow some indica when i start up my first grow house next week. I wish anyone can recommend where to get different seed strains of weed to import to Nigeria as i want to start my own mini grow house. Have ordered from Amazon all that is required and will be coming in by next week tuesday.
Back to the topic, sativas are high with THC and THCV. THCV tends to be more abundant in sativa and it’s possible you’ve noticed that sativas tend to provoke hunger less than indica strains for those who have tried indica. I haven’t. All my life have been smoking sativas and have been fucking hungry at every single joint that i consume.
It has been very hard on me for a while now. I get to spend all my money buying junks on the street just because am high with sativa and i cannot buy any other strain in my country. The growers here just grow whatever they like hopefully this will change as we will begin to encourage more cannabis users to grow their own weed at home.
For those struggling with obesity this might not be cool for them. I don’t want to be fat, so i try as much to control that urge when it comes. I made some few search and i got to know it is easy to deal with the munchies by following this few steps which i will outline below:
1. Eat Edibles: An easy way to deal with the munchies and still get the Africa experience in sativas is to use edibles. I usually cook most my food with weed in it. In that way i do not get hungry but i still get high. sometimes it is just canna tea, or just adding little weed to my rice before eating them. With this you can easily experiment with a high THC sativa combined with a CBD edible.
2. Always have soft drink or water: last night i was struggling to sleep and i had like two joints of cannabis left with me. It was 2am and i won’t be able to buy any food at that time and i need to smoke before sleeping. I just left my hotel room and i light up my weed with a sachet water. After smoking i took a lot of water and i was very okay i went straight to sleep. I know with a bottle of cook or just a single bottle water you will be fine without the munchies. Because i do this all the time. You don’t have to eat all the time water can also help.
3. Go brush your teeth: if you are very high with any sativa strains you can get reed of the munchies by brushing your teeth. The mint feel can help quench the hunger drive. Use any of your favorite toothpaste. In my opinion use paste that isn’t herbal. paste that has much of mints than herbal taste.
4. Go get busy: most time i just decide to either chat with my friends on Facebook or whats-app. it helps create that distraction until the hunger subsidize. Whatever you like doing the most, it could be gaming, drawing or just having fun with your friends. Just make sure you get busy and take your mind off the hunger. If you practice YOGA then you can do that immediately after consuming high THC strain. This is not as effective as the two other option above but in a case where you have no chance to brush or drink water then you can just get yourself busy.
5. Eat fruits: yes, as a regular user of mostly Africa Sativas i mostly make sure i have fruits to eat. Some times it is just the Indian almond tree in my compound that i usually pluck its fruit and eat, while most time i just get orange, banana and any other affordable fruit. With 1$-2$ i should be able to get enough fruits to quench my hunger. It always work. With this you know you have taken advantage of cannabis.
6. Smoke cannabis with high CBD and low THC: Some indica or hybrid strains have less than 10% THC and can help with the munchies. Strains like, ACDC, Charlotte’s Web, Canna-Tsu , Harle-Tsu, MediHaze, Ringo’s Gift, Durban Poison, Jack the Ripper and Harlequin. There are a lot of them. Do a google search and it will come out with more than 100 good results. Lastly i always use this formula Get a strain of 3% THC and 15-20% CBD and you will be fine.